Jazzed-up baked beans

Culture Food and Drink

Celebrity chefs, like supermarkets and the CEO of zoom, are amongst the few in society who seem to have benefited from the recent lockdown. Swathes of people bored pretending to work from home have flocked to their recipes to make the 17th banana bread of the week (find our awesome banana bread recipe here) or find novel ideas of how to cook tinned goods. However, celebrity chefs always have a warped idea of what real people actually keep in their cupboards, so here is a recipe that uses ingredients that are abundant in most cupboards. Even if you do not possess the entire ingredient list, the beauty of this recipe is that (with the exception of the beans) none of the ingredients are essential so can be removed or substituted according to your supplies. However, it is scientific fact that everybody has a tin of baked beans in their house; normally to be found just behind the tinned fruit from 2006.

Ingredients

• 50g chorizo sausage
  • 2 spring onions
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ground coriander
  • 1 tin of baked beans
  • 1 large handful of washed spinach
  • 1 generous squeeze (1/2 – 1 tbsp) barbeque sauce

Method

1. Slice the chorizo, spring onions and tomatoes into thin slices and set aside.
  2. Place a medium frying pan on a medium-high heat and add the chorizo slices. Fry the sausage until it browns slightly and starts to release its oil. At this point, add the spring onions and tomatoes and fry until lightly softened.
  3. Add the spices and fry for 2 minutes before adding the beans, spinach and barbeque sauce. Keep the pan on the heat until the beans are piping hot and the spinach has started to wilt. Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for approximately 3 days.

Image Credit: Jules, Stone Soup, Flickr Creative Commons