Optimistic Oxford – a charitable week 2

Image Description: ‘Welcome to the Sunny Side of Oxford’ reads on a restaurant’s exterior

From Jesus College’s vote for divestment to the reopening of Najar’s (just outside John’s), there’s plenty of good news in Oxford from second week—read on to find out more optimistic news about Oxford!

Getting the Ball Rolling

The Oxford University Hockey Club has raised over £2600 for charity (and counting!) in its endeavour to run to Krakow. Its annual tour—this year, to Krakow—was meant to take place in July but has unfortunately not been able to go ahead. The Club notes, however, that “Now, more than ever, is the time for us to band together” and thus decided to raise money for charity. Each team—as well as an Alumni team—will each be running the 1,739 km to Krakow. Collectively—running, walking, jogging—they’re running an astonishing 13,912 km.

They noted that many people have turned to donating to the fantastic NHS – which is really important – and that as a result, other charities are unable to secure the funding they need. So, they decided to raise for seven charities: WeSeeHope, RosaUK, Keen Oxford, the Trussell Trust, Oxfordshire Mind, Women’s Aid, and Homeless Oxfordshire.

You can donate here.

Somerville Music

Somerville Music Society has continued to carry the torch of musical excellence in spite of the circumstances, with its Facebook page displaying its copious talents. From its version of Paul Simon’s ‘50 Ways To Leave Your Lover’ to Quartel’s ‘Hope is the thing with Feathers’, there’s plenty to keep your ears happy during this lockdown.

Alongside this, it is also raising an amazing £500 for EACO Uganda, who provide vital relief for desperate communities in lockdown—and is already 75% there. You can donate here. It also shows off the Oxford Alternotives’ mini-series with a cover of “Wicked Game” by Somerville’s Mary McBain-Bass.

The Tingewick society

The Tingewick society—which has been raising money for charities for over 90 years—will be raising money for charity as 21 of them cycle a grand total of 7200 km—that’s 100 for each year of the NHS. They will be cycling separately of course, and out of their budgeted exercise allowance. All the money will be going to Oxford Hospital Charities, and SeeSaw—“both of which are doing a ‘Wheelie’ good job to support us during this difficult time”. Terrible pun; great initiative! You can donate at donate.tingewick.org.

Oxford Hub

Oxford Hub’s non-profit OxUnboxed shop has now re-opened in line with current health and safety advice! They’re open 10am-6pm on Fridays and Saturdays on Little Clarendon Street for those still in Oxford looking for environmentally friendly food. Don’t forget your containers to fill with organic products so that no plastic packaging is needed!

Moreover, their volunteers helped Barton Community Association volunteers in delivering hot food to the community. 48 meals were cooked from surplus food and delivered around Oxford in response to Oxford Together’s call-to-arms (to provide food!) One of their volunteers even dressed in a 1940s style nurse’s outfit!

If you have any positive stories from Oxford, your College JCR or MCR, or anything relevant to your studies at Oxford, please email oxstu.features@gmail.com.

Image Credit: Howard Stanbury at Flickr.