Teddy Hall Boat Club surpass 1861km exercise target to raise £1861

Students and alumni from St Edmund Hall Boat Club have successfully met their fundraising target of raising £1861 for charity.  Members of the Club aimed collectively to exercise a total of 1861km. They met this target by collectively ‘running, cycling, and erging as fast as we can’ within the span of just one day. The figure of 1861 refers to the founding year of the Boat Club.

The Boat Club chose to fundraise for the Bone Cancer Research Trust in memory of Matt Greenwood, a member of the Club who passed from the cancer. In their JustGiving fundraising page, the Club also pointed out that ‘other large UK cancer research charities do not prioritise bone cancer patients, in 2019 just 0.028% of their research spend went to bone cancer – not even close to 1%’.

The fundraiser exceeded its initial aim of raising £1000. As a result they chose on Friday last week to increase their fundraising goal to £1861. All of the exercise took place on Saturday. By Sunday afternoon the fundraiser passed £2700 in donations, with people continuing to contribute. Member of the college also broke the distance target, with nearly 4500km travelled through a combination of cycling, erging, kayaking, walking and running. Reaching this total included contributions such as one alumnus running a full marathon, as well as a number of members of College cycling over 100km.

George Spill, President of the Boat Club, told The Oxford Student that ‘The support we’ve had for the challenge has been amazing. It was fantastic seeing the commitment and all the contributions to the distance coming in through the day, from current members and alumni alike, as well as the hugely generous donations. Matt inspired a lot of people, and it was great to see that spirit still going strong in remembering him yesterday, and supporting the Bone Cancer Research Trust.’

Donations to the fundraiser can be made at: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/st-edmund-hall-boat-club