Join The OxStu Today! Applications now open for MT20

Term may not quite have been what we all expected, but the OxStu is busier than ever! If you want to be part of Oxford’s largest and most inclusive student paper, apply with one or more of the links below:

News and Broadcast Team Application
Editorial Team Application
Columnists Application
Illustrators and Designers Application

News:

News is one of our most vital sections and at the heart of what we do at The Oxford Student. We are dedicated to reporting on issues pertinent to Oxford students and aspire to do so in a timely manner. From the dodgy dealings of our colleges to the progressive, new guidelines for diversity mandated by our Student Council we want to cover those important stories which impact our life here at the university. Our News Team strives to uphold high journalistic standards in accordance with the journalist code of ethics and we take pride in our editorial independence – we will never shy away from a story because of bias. As part of the News Team, you will be an integral part of keeping our readers up-to-date with University-related news through commissioning and editing articles, as well as investigating the stories that really matter and answering those all-important questions and concerns students may have here. You will learn proper forms of investigation and the unique style of news reporting as well as undertake legal training – crucial skills that will help start a burgeoning journalism career of your own.

Comment:

This is our opinion section dedicated to spreading the voices of our student body on the most topical and controversial issues relevant to students, young people and the nation/globe. This section, which has included debates and opinion pieces on topics as diverse as the morality of the Oxford Union to whether we should support college stash, can attract thousands of readers, and truly impact how other students understand their experience of the university and the hot topics of the day. As part of the Comment Editorial team, you can help shape the discourse within the university through commissioning and editing articles, as well as regularly contributing to help start a burgeoning writing career of your own.

We are also introducing the role of Permanent Columnists who will be given regularly space to tackle issues from their point of view. Are you a die-hard Marxist? Fancy yourself a bit of a raging Conservative? Perhaps you’re one of those trendy Libertarians, either way, we want to hear from you!

Features:

The Features Section is a place where students can explore their experiences. With longer and more in-depth pieces, Features will provide a place for students to relate to and understand their peers. Whether it’s how you adjusted moving from secondary school to Oxford, how you’ve experienced and interacted with student politics, to your experience of how mental health and living up to academic expectations interact, the Features Section is a place to tell your story or a story you think is worth telling. As part of the Features Editorial team, you can help shape the discourse within the university through commissioning and editing articles, as well as regularly contributing to help start a burgeoning writing career of your own. Features also have a really important role in giving a voice to students who feel marginalised by the University experience in ways that are not necessarily part of Pink or Identity. Editors have the ability to conduct interviews and platform important voices.

Pink:

As part of our commitment to inclusivity and diversity, we have a dedicated section, as part of Features, to focus on LGBTQ+ and gender issues. This section will explore sexual identity and gender identity, with a wide-ranging focus on how these issues affect all members of our society, with contributions from all, no matter how they identify, welcome. Hopefully, we will return to a print edition next term, and Pink will be expanded in the coming months to feature a double-page spread so our Editors can present more work from our LGBTQ+  community than ever before. We’re also recruiting a Pink columnist!

Identity:

As part of our commitment to inclusivity and diversity, we have a dedicated section which focuses on issues regarding race and cultural identity. Identity Editors have the opportunity to work with contributors to explore issues specific to members of the BAME community, celebrating diversity and also shining a spotlight on their experience. As we hope for a print edition next term, Identity will be expanded to a double-page spread, so that the more stories and more experiences have a space to be shared. We’re also looking for an Identity columnist!

Profile:

Profile is a section dedicated to providing thought-provoking interviews with a wide variety of people, from internationally famous celebrities and thinkers to students at Oxford continually pushing the boundaries. Past interviewees have included Nick Clegg, Gina Miller, and the illustrious Eve Bennett. Being part of the Profile team means getting to meet some incredible people, and helping to decide what parts of their mind you wish to explore through the interview format. This is also a great section to take part in some informal networking and an excuse to meet some of your favourite people.

OxYou:

One of our newest sections, OxYou is the page to let out all your Oxford woes. For this section, we want humorous content that is directly related to life at Oxford University. Fallen in love with your college spouse? This will be the place to find some articles with advice about that conundrum. Want to become your college’s resident BNOC? How about a 5-step guide to achieving this! This section includes an Agony Aunt, an all-new gossip column – apply if you’d like to write either. We’ll also be working puzzle into our OxYou section, so if you think you can make witty commentary through the medium of crosswords, put that in your application.

E-Sports & Gaming: 

So, we have to admit that things the last term didn’t exactly go to plan. However, we took this opportunity to expand our sporting umbrella, and the reception has been brilliant. Regular sports fixtures might not be taking place in the foreseeable future, but the e-sports industry is booming! What better time than now to shift our attention to our online players and explore the world of gaming. Gaming is a huge subculture within our University, most of us here fancy ourselves a bit of Animal Crossing or Overwatch and the Oxford Minecraft Project keeps getting bigger. However, gaming is not something we often talk about, typically drowned out by news and university politics. We want to take advantage of these unfortunate times to continue to expand our platform for E-Sports & Gaming, where people can share their favourite games and a uni-wide discussion can take place. If possible, we even want to try host intercollegiate E-Sports and stream it on our platforms. If you feel like you could further this new section, please sign-up!

SciTech:

STEM students make up an overwhelming proportion of the student body and we want to make sure we are representing them. In light of the current world situation, and with our University’s leading role in the race to the Covid-19 vaccination, our Sci-Tech section has seen record numbers of readership, with opportunities for Editors to speak to some of the leading lights in the scientific and technological world within our university. Sci-Tech’s job is to present some interesting reads about what our STEM students have been up, as well as keep our community informed of everything relevant to them. If you are keen to spread the word about STEM please apply!

Culture:

The broad culture section consists of Entertainment (encompassing Music, Stage and Screen) and Life (encompassing Arts, Literature, and Popular Culture).

Last term the Culture section was one of our most popular reads, representing a break from dramatic but sometimes draining news, and acting as a place to really showcase the cultural side of our student body. If you’re someone who has a love for culture, be that fashion, art, music, cinema, there is a place for you here. Culture also affords us a place to comment make thoughtful commentary, critiquing traditional narratives, exploring connections between music and protest, looking at the diversity of the film industry. Next term, we are furthering our video content (fingers crossed we’re all back to Oxford) so if you fancy yourself a bit of a big name on the Oxford culture scene, and you don’t mind working in front of a camera, there is room here for working on our mini docu-series. Being part of this section has a great perk in that you will have the opportunity to attend productions, screenings, and exhibitions for free, with all the goodies that come along with it. Two of our editors in Hilary term attended the Ashmolean’s Rembrandt Press Preview and received free lunch, and a catalogue worth £30!

Food & Drink:

We hope to be serving up some tasty reading in the Food and Drink section, highlighting all the best places to eat in Oxford (once we get back to it of course), but also providing a great resource to cook up some delicious dishes for yourself. Being part of the Food and Drink section requires a big appetite, as members of the team often get invitations to review restaurants for free and a keen eye for crafting and creating recipes to share with our readers. It also provides a space for those with a love of alcoholic beverages to give us the rundown on the Oxford drinking scene, as well as somewhere to share your own dangerously potent creations! Bon Appetit!

Illustrators: 

We’re looking for a dynamic, committed and creative team of illustrators and graphic makers to work alongside all sections, producing original content to further the visual appeal of the paper. You will have the opportunity to have your art distributed across Oxford in physical format and the potential for it to be viewed thousands of times on the website. Stand-out works of art from each week will also feature on the front page or accompany highly relevant stories. All levels of creative ability are encouraged to apply as often imagery to accompany articles does not need to incredibly complex, but rather it is important to be engaging and clear.