Image Description: Strawberry and Thyme scones filled with cream and jam, and surrounded by strawberries

Summer! Thyme for a Strawberry treat

Food and Drink

Image Description: Sasha’s Strawberry and Thyme scones filled with cream and jam, placed on a table surrounded by strawberries.

Strawberries are the harbingers of a glorious summer, and there is simply no better way to eat them than piled high onto a mottled golden scone. Thyme and berry might seem like strange bedfellows, but here the herb manages to tame the fruit, and make it sing anew. This is a truly sumptuous summertime number.

Ingredients

• 3 cups (375g) self-raising flour
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ cup (112g) cold butter (regular, or vegan), cut into cubes
  • 2 tsp fresh thyme, finely minced
  • 4 Tbsp (56g) white sugar
  • ¾ cup (180ml) milk (regular, or soy)
  • 1 tsp lemon juice

To brush:

• 2 tbsp milk (regular, or soy)
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp demerara sugar

To serve:

• A glut of fresh summer strawberries, rinsed and sliced
  • Strawberry jam, optional
  • Whipped cream, or coconut whip 

Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 220C, and line a baking sheet with parchment.
  2. Sift the flour into a large bowl with the salt and baking powder, and mix well. Add the butter, then rub in with your fingers until the mix looks like fine crumbs. You can also use a pastry cutter to break the butter up into small pieces. Stir in the thyme and sugar.
  3. Put the milk and lemon juice into a mug, and stir. Let this sit for 5 minutes to let the milk curdle and thicken slightly.
  4. Make a well in the dry mix, then add the liquid and combine it quickly with a spatula – mix it gently until it forms a shaggy dough. Tip the dough out onto a floured countertop, then fold the dough over 2-3 times until it’s a little smoother. Take care not to overwork the dough as this can make the scones tough.
  5. Pat the dough out into a round, about 2cm thick. Use a 5cm cutter and dip it into some flour. Push it into the dough, then repeat until you have four scones. Press what’s left of the dough back into a round to cut out another four. Place the scones on the baking sheet
  6. Stir together the milk and sugar to brush on top each scone. Sprinkle demerara sugar over all the scones.
  7. Send them into the oven for 18-20 mins until risen and golden on the top. 
  8. Split each down the middle, and lavish with whipped cream, strawberry slivers and, for the daring, more strawberry jam to up the berry oomph.

Image Credit: Sasha Gill.

Ad