A drawing of a steaming pie on a windowsill next to an orange cat and a pumpkin.

An Autumnal Appetite

Food and Drink

Image Description: A drawing of a steaming pie on a windowsill next to an orange cat and a pumpkin.

If you’ve exhausted the college hall menu and every Taylor’s within a five-mile radius, you might be feeling like it’s time to make some home-cooked comforts. These simple, autumn-inspired recipes will provide you with the energy to power through Michaelmas and more importantly, they’re in keeping with the orangey-red aesthetic of fall! 

Changing Seasons Porridge

Sounds boring, I know, but I promise it doesn’t have to taste like lumpy cardboard. One of my autumn breakfast staples is porridge. Having it every morning for eight weeks of term, however, can make it seem like you’re eating thick gruel. That’s why changing your porridge toppings with the seasons can revive this fibre-rich meal. A combination of cinnamon, honey, and banana is both delicious and has extremely autumny vibes. For a fruity topping of berry compote, add frozen berries, sugar, vanilla extract, and a little orange juice to a baking dish and leave in the oven for 10 minutes. 

Instagrammable Chickpea curry

If you’re looking for something to set your taste buds on fire, this chickpea curry will do the trick. It’s also in keeping with the autumnal colour palette! For the curry base fry onions, ginger and garlic, followed by cumin, paprika, curry powder and coriander. Add drained chickpeas, a tin of chopped tomatoes, and coconut milk. Finish by tossing in some fresh coriander and the juice and zest of one lime. Just like that, you’ll have a mouth-watering dish in under 10 minutes. 

Hearty Bean Stew

Nothing says autumn like a warm, comforting stew. Good quality beef, however, mightn’t be on your weekly shopping list. Red kidney beans are a great source of protein, and buying them in tins means you can easily stock up. Frying onion, celery, carrots, and garlic in olive oil with your chosen spices will give you a perfect base, before adding stock and a tin of tomatoes. Add a can of red kidney beans, lentils, and potatoes, and leave to cook through. This bean stew will give you the boost you need on a chilly autumn evening. 

Not from a Can Tomato Soup

Tomato soup is a staple of the uni diet, but if you’re feeling a little more adventurous or need time in the kitchen to de-stress, try making it from scratch. Fry onions, carrots, and celery in olive oil until soft, before adding tomato puree, fresh tomatoes, and basil. Season with pepper and salt before adding vegetable stock. Leave to simmer until it reduces. Is there anything more autumny than a bowl of tomato soup and a toasted cheese sandwich? 

Halloween Inspired Pumpkin Crumble

Unless you’re attempting to emulate Paul Hollywood, you may not want to spend an evening rolling out pastry in your student kitchen. This pumpkin crumble can still satisfy any pumpkin pie cravings without creating quite as much mess with a rolling pin. Adding sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and milk to pumpkin puree means that you don’t have to carve out a pumpkin (unless it’s required for your flat’s Halloween room decor!) Combining sugar, flour, oats, cinnamon, and butter together will give you a perfect crumble topping. If you’re feeling a little nutty, which most of us are right now, add some chopped pecans and walnuts. Pop it in the oven in whatever ovenproof dish you’ve ‘borrowed’ from home for 25 minutes. This crumble is sure to be a scrumptious treat, even when using the dodgiest of student ovens. If you’re longing for an autumn comfort bake, but aren’t quite as enthusiastic as some about orange food, replace the pumpkin with stewed apple!

Image credit: Rokaiba Afrin