University records over 200 new cases

Covid-19 News News University News

Oxford University’s Early Alert Service has recorded 212 new positive cases between 24th October and 30th October. This is a change from 208 recorded in the previous week, bringing the University’s total cases to 708 since it started testing in August.

The cases were recorded from 727 tests, which gives a weekly positivity rate of 29.2 per cent. The higher positivity rate of the University testing service compared to the National positivity rate of 8.3% is likely, in part, due to its strict policy of testing mostly those exhibiting the main symptoms of Covid-19, or confirmed close-contacts.

Yesterday, the University updated its Coronavirus guidance page:

“New National Restrictions will be introduced from this Thursday (5 November). The University is now considering the impact of these measures, and further information will be made available on these pages as soon as possible. You should also refer to the UK Government website for the latest advice.”

The University Silver Group and Conference of Colleges are meeting today to discuss the implications of the new national restrictions that will come into force from Thursday.

Discrepancies between total case numbers for Oxford, published by Public Health England, and the University’s figures, which have been higher than these totals, are currently being looked at.

Alongside the results table, the testing service notes: “Test results will be updated each Monday to reflect the previous week’s numbers. Please note that the figures on this page include only those tests for which we have received a result, and do not include positive test results received outside of the University testing service. Due to the time interval between a test being done and the result becoming available, it is expected that there will be a mismatch between actual results and those confirmed to us on any given day. University testing figures do not correspond exactly to those reported for Oxford as a whole. We are working with Public Health England to resolve the issue.”