(O)xmas Sugar Biscuits

Food and Drink

Image description: Sugar biscuits in a variety of festive shapes covered in coloured icing.

Looking for an (O)xmas treat to chase away the cold nights? Look no further! Christmas sugar biscuits are the perfect sweet treat for a wholesome movie night – they’re quick and easy to make, and super fun to decorate! I made these biscuits on Oxmas day and spent the evening decorating them with my housemates – it got us all in the festive spirit!

Makes: Around 25-30 biscuits (two baking trays) depending on the size of your biscuit cutters

Time: 25 mins preparation + 10 mins cooking

Suitable for vegetarians

Ingredients:

• 100g unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 100g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (Madagascan vanilla extract is particularly great with this recipe!)
  • 300g plain flour

For decoration:

• Different coloured icing (green, red and white, especially, for festive biscuits!)
  • Sprinkles mix (optional)
  • Edible glitter (optional)

Method:

1. Line two baking trays with greaseproof paper and preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190 C.
  2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until the butter is completely mixed in (make sure there aren’t any small lumps of butter left!). The mixture should be light and fluffy.
  3. In a separate bowl, lightly beat one egg. Combine the egg in the larger mixture a little at a time. Do the same with the vanilla extract.
  4. Stir in the flour a little at a time. Once fully combined the mixture should become a dough.
  5. Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the dough until it is of a thickness of 1cm.
  6. Using Christmas biscuit cutters or a glass, cut biscuits out of the dough. Each time you roll out the dough, lightly sprinkle some flour to stop it from sticking to the surface.
  7. Place the biscuit shapes on the two trays and bake for 10 minutes, until they become lightly golden-brown in colour. Once cooked, set them aside for 5 minutes to harden, then place them on a wire rack to cool for a further 3-5 minutes.
  8. Now it’s time to decorate! Use the icing and sprinkles to make your own fun Christmas designs! If you wish to make your own icing, you can mix 400g of icing sugar with a few tablespoons of water and 2-3 drops of food colouring.
  9. Once you’ve finished decorating, set aside for 5-10 minutes until the icing hardens. I highly recommend enjoying your sugar biscuits with a nice glass of mulled wine or milk!

Wishing you all a merry Oxmas!

Image credit: Nupur Patel