Rosé Rosado – a lockdown staple

Culture Food and Drink

Image Description: The Oxford Wine Company’s Turl Street storefront

Lockdown #3 is here, and everyone knows what that means.

Yes, we have to face the dire reality of taking yet another term from home. And yes, uni exams are still going ahead despite GCSEs and A-Levels being cancelled (thanks, [redacted] College, I’m blaming you for your alumni).

But this isn’t the first lockdown anymore. Whipped coffee isn’t going to cut it. So, I did what any pessimistic doomsday prepper would – I stocked up on alcohol at the end of Michaelmas term. Specifically, a sweet and fruity rosé from The Oxford Wine Company.

Though rather medium-bodied for a rosé, Viñas del Vero Colección’s 2019 Pinot Noir Rosado has floral and fruity notes of tangerine, nectarine, and blackberries. It is sharp and palatable, easy to drink – the acidic taste lingers for a pleasant drinking experience.

Rosado gives off an intense flavour and is thus ideal for pairing with mild dishes, including rice dishes, summer salads, or sushi. Or even, if you’re anything like me, on its own with good company to pair it with!

The pale pink gold colour is appetising, and the Somontano region (where this Rosado originates) is known for its Pinot Noir. Overall, this was a lovely wine to drink – I’m certainly no expert but I know a good wine when I taste one. Well rounded, elegant, and smooth, this is a definite staple for future (zoom) catch-ups.

The Oxford Wine Company’s three central Oxford stores are open throughout lockdown: Botley Road, Turl Street, and the newly opened Little Clarendon Street. Students can get 10% off any purchase in store, and free delivery within Oxford!

Image credit: Ayesha Sehgal