Grant made available for local businesses: here’s who is still open

Local News News

Image Description: The inside of the Covered Market

The Oxford City Council announced this month that local businesses are now able to apply for lockdown support grants.

Businesses which have been mandated to close by the Government, such as the retail, hospitality, and leisure sectors, can now apply for one-off grants of up to £9,000 per property. Grants of up to £4,500 per 6 weeks of national lockdown and/or Tier 4 have also been made available. 

Businesses that are not eligible for the grants but have been severely impacted by the lockdown are able to apply for discretionary grants of up to £2,000 per 28 days. 

Despite this, it goes without saying that many businesses have suffered greatly from their numerous forced closures. However, many local businesses in Oxford are still operating, through takeaways, click and collect, and online orders, and thus we can still offer our support by shopping small and local.

For students in Oxford currently, there are a number of businesses that you can support. The Oxford Student has conducted in-depth investigation into the sweet treats and foodie delights (and something for the bookworms among us!) that are still available during lockdown, from independent local businesses. Below are some of our favourites!

1. The Edge Eatery

Located in Eynsham, owners Phoebe and Tom use the freshest, most sustainable and naturally sourced ingredients, while their suppliers use only recyclable materials and minimal packaging. 

They are serving brunch and burgers for local delivery and collection: their website can be found here.

1. The Missing Bean 

The Missing Bean is an independently owned espresso bar on Turl Street. They sell not only their own roasted coffee, but also delicious home-made treats. 

Takeaway is available from the Magdalene Road Roastery and Turl Street Café.

They are also taking online orders here.

1. V-Giyan: Vegan Punjabi

This is the UK’s only 100% plant-based Punjabi meal box delivery service. With a focus on sustainability, all food is produced locally and cooked naturally, while their packaging in 100% biodegradable. 

Order online here for delivery in Oxfordshire.  

1. Bonners

Bonners are a family business, based in the famous Oxford Covered Market since 1952. They are committed to supporting local farmers, and are now delivering fresh fruit and veg to the most of Oxfordshire. 

You can order online here.

1. Bearded Viking Drinks

Beaded Viking Drinks make delicious world-class cocktails, from pina colada’s to espresso martini’s, and they have an exhaustive selection of bottled cocktails to order.

These can be ordered online here.

1. Essie Bakes

Essie Bakes provides bespoke cakes and bakes for local cafes and for private order, as well as for courier delivery throughout the UK. As well as all the classics, Essie Bakes specialises in sustainable and home-made vegan options, alongside reduced sugar bakes.

These delicious treats can be ordered online here.

1. Happy Cakes

Happy Cakes has been producing thousands of homemade cupcakes since 2009. These ranged from be large, personalised orders to small orders, but all are made with fun and love!

Email Julia to order.

1. The Oxford Wine Company

The Oxford Wine Company is a family-run wine merchant with over 25 years’ experience. They have 2 shops in Oxford, on Botley Road and Turl Street, with another coming soon on Little Clarendon Street. They deliver their wine throughout Oxfordshire and beyond, usually within a day or two.

Order online here

1. Mostly Books

This award-winning independent bookshop is located in the heart of Abingdon. Here, they offer an excellent range of books, greeting cards, gifts and children’s toys. Their team can source most titles for collection the following day, and order any book that is currently in print, (and even track down some that are not!).

Order online here for free delivery for addresses within 5 miles, and only a small delivery charge further afield.

1. Jessie’s Art Shed

Jessie and her husband Olly run an art shop in Eynsham, where they are normally hosting classes and workshops. They stock an amazing rank of art products both in shop and online, and sell a fantastic creations by local artists.

You can order online here.

Image Credit: tejvanphotos