Oxford makes historic number of offers to ethnic minority students

Image Description: The front of the Bodleian library.  

Oxford University made a historic number of offers to ethnic minority students in the UCAS Application cycle of 2020, for undergraduate courses starting in the autumn. The number of offers to black and mixed-race students also rose.

According to data released today, the number of offers made to British Black, Asian, and Ethnic Minority undergraduates rose to 684 students, or 23.6% of the UK intake. For the 2019 cycle, 558 British Black, Asian and Ethnic Minority students were accepted, 22% of the UK intake.

The number of Black students accepted rose from 80 students to 106, an increase from 3.2% of the intake to 3.7%. UCAS analysis shows that, taking predicted grades and subject choice into account, Oxford is now more likely to make offers to students less likely to progress to higher education, to students with African and Caribbean heritage, and to student with mixed heritage.

The admission statistics also highlight progress for representation of student less likely to participate in higher education, and for those from the most disadvantaged areas. The ratio between students accepted from the most socially advantaged groups and the least has fallen again from 7.6:1 to 6.3:1. Both these ratios are well ahead of the targets agreed with the Office for students.

Dr Samina Khan, Director of Undergraduate Admissions and Outreach emphasised the progress that had been made, and highlighted that this has taken place despite the difficulties of the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Last year’s record figures for offers to students from underrepresented groups was a significant step towards diversifying our student body, but to be able to make further advances for a second year during the COVID-19 pandemic is an achievement and testament to the hard work by many students in these difficult circumstances. The University has also worked hard to put much of its outreach and access activity online and we are delighted this helped keep us on track to boost the proportion of undergraduate student intake coming to Oxford from under-represented backgrounds.”

34 offers were made to Black students through the Target Oxbridge programme in the 2020-2021 cycle, which is inline with last year’s results. Target Oxbridge is aimed at helping more UK students of Black heritage apply to Oxford and Cambridge Universities, and its applicants enjoyed an application to offer rate of over 40%, which is considerably higher than the average conversion rate for UK applicants.

Image Credit: Iona Shen