Timeline for SU Presidential by-election announced

Image Description: A black and white image of All Soul’s College.

The SU has announced the timeline for the election to replace the SU President-Elect, who recently resigned after online controversy. The election will take place between the 18th May and 20th May.

Nominations for the position of SU President-Elect will open on the 25th April, and be open for a period of two weeks until the 9th May. Hustings will be held on the 17th May.

The SU website reads:

“Following the resignation of the President-elect Oxford SU is running a by-election for President. The President is a Sabbatical Officer, who take a year out of their studies, or after they’ve finished, for a paid full time job working for the interests of 25,000 Oxford students.”

“It is a job like no other. Our Sabbatical Officers get a unique view across the whole Collegiate University, work with the University leadership, participate in Senior University Committees, support student activitiesrun their own projects, and fight for the rights of Oxford students.”

“You’ll find all the information you need on this page including timelines, the job description, and helpful resources. If you have further questions about the Leadership Elections drop us an email at [email protected] and our team will get in touch.”

The 7th week Student Council was held this evening. Motions included a proposition to tackle antisemitism on campus, and a resolution to support the University Sustainability Strategy, proposed by the VP for Charities and Community.

The Returning Officer also announced that following her resignation as SU President-elect, Samant has now also resigned as MPLS divisional representative.

Items for discussion included potentially adopting the Trans Actual definition of transphobia and lobbying the University to do the same, and an issue raised with the SU voting system by the SU Returning Officer. Further items include a discussion proposed by President Nikita Ma asking for student feedback on racial inequalities in access, education, and student experience.

Voting on resolutions closes at noon tomorrow.

Image Credit: Iona Shen