Oxford University Museum of Natural History set to reopen from 17th of May

Local News News University News

Image description: A picture of  inside the Natural History museum

Oxford University Museum of Natural History has announced that it plans to reopen, in line with government guidance from the 17th of May. Free slots will be able to book from Tuesday the 4th May.

The museum has been closed for over four months since the Government implemented the most recent lockdown. Social distancing and face coverings will be required for visitors and capacity will be reduced to enforce this.

The new permanent ‘Out of the Deep’ display will have a chance to be properly shown off and some of the museum’s most popular attractions will once again be able to be visited. Unfortunately, there will still be no temporary exhibition space and no access to the BeeHive display as many Coronavirus measures will remain in place after the 17th of May. In line with current guidance, all touchable exhibits will also remain out of access.

This signals a greater sense of freedom and wider reopening as restrictions look set to be further relaxed in England. The government’s roadmap looks set to go ahead as originally planned, so far.

Free tickets (plus a £1.50 booking fee) are available to book from Tuesday the 4th of May with group bookings available to be booked from the Monday the 10th of May. The museum will require advanced bookings to visit.

A University College historian said:

“I’m really pleased the museum is opening, it’s a great place to gain understanding into history that you don’t always learn much about, I’m excited to visit!”

An English Literature student from Balliol College commented:

“The museum opening is great because it is reassuring about the road-map out of the lockdown. Hopefully, the government’s stages for the easing of lockdown continue to go ahead.”

You can find more information on the Oxford University Museum of Natural History’s website.

Image Credit: nick.garrod via Creative Commons