A cake for your study break

Culture Food and Drink

Image description: A messy kitchen countertop with a loaf cake, orange juice and a spoon of flour. 

This banana almond cake is moreish and best eaten on a long, relaxing break from work. I made this cake on a whim while procrastinating one day. Baking is always worth the effort, even if you’re pushed for time. We only had one banana and no flour, so banana bread was not an option. I turned to making something which resembles a cross between a Bakewell tart and a dense polenta cake. Here’s the recipe:

Prep: 10 minutes

Cook: 20 minutes

Ingredients

1 ripe banana

140g ground almonds

140ml olive oil

140g light brown sugar

2 large eggs

Dash of cinnamon (optional)

2 tbsp milled flaxseed

1 tsp vanilla extract

Flaked almonds for topping

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180C.
  2. Grease a 9-inch springform round cake tin with some olive oil.
  3. Whisk together the olive oil and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
  4. Mash the ripe banana and add to the bowl.
  5. Add in two large eggs, vanilla extract and cinnamon.
  6. Gradually fold in the ground almonds until fully combined. Stir in the milled flaxseed.
  7. Pour the cake batter into the tin & sprinkle generously with flaked almonds.
  8. The cake should take 20-25 minutes to cook through and become golden on top. Insert a knife to check it comes out clean.
  9. Let cool in the tin for around 15 minutes before releasing it onto a cooking rack.
  10. The cake is delicious as it is, but I drizzled over 3 tbsp icing sugar mixed with water until just runny and some tahini to serve.

Why not add some fresh summer berries on top halfway through baking?

Double the recipe if you would like a decadent layer cake. Just divide the mixture between two tins and maybe sandwich them together with a berry compote made from frozen dark cherries…

Best served with a cup of filter coffee, the Irish element is optional.

Image Credit: Anush A on Unsplash