Oxford University Maintains Top Ranking for sixth year

Image Description: The roof of the Sheldonian Theatre. 

Oxford University has maintained its place at the top of the Times Higher Education University Rankings for 2022, the sixth consecutive year that the University has placed first in the world.

The rankings, announced this morning, saw Oxford placed first, with the California Institute of Technology, Harvard University, Stanford University, and the University of Cambridge and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology ranked within the top five.

The ranking is based on 13 performance indicators that measure institutions’ performance across four key areas: research, teaching, knowledge transfer and international outlook. Over 108 million citations across 14.4 million research publications were analysed, alongside survey responses from 22,000 scholars globally.

Harvard University ranked top for teaching, with Oxford placed first for research. The Macau University for Science and Technology topped the international pillar.

The US is the most-represented country with 183 institutions, and the most represented in the top 200, with 57 institutions falling within that category. However, its share of universities in the elite category is falling.

Mainland China has two institutions in the top 20 for the first time, with both Peking University and Tsinghua University ranking at 16th in the world. Six new countries feature in the table for 2022: Azerbaijan, Ecuador, Ethiopia, Fiji, Palestine, and Tanzania.

Overall, 1,662 universities are ranked, with a further 452 listed with reporter status, meaning that they registered but did not meet the eligibility criteria to receive a rank.

SU President Anvee Bhutani responded to the news in a tweet, congratulating the University but also recognising that there are still areas of improvement.

The tweet read:

“Oxford tops the @TimesHigherEd world university rankings again for 2022! Still a lot of progress to be made but this is a pleasant piece of news!”

In an exclusive comment to The Oxford Student Anvee reiterated the sentiments of her tweet congratulating the hard work of students and staff, including emphasising that the SU was continuing to push for progress within the University.

“I am glad to see that Oxford is once again at the top of the Times Higher Education world rankings list. While the SU continues to push for more progress to be made across the University, our placement on the ranking is a testament to the hard work put in by students and staff on all fronts and should be celebrated.”

Image Credit: Chen Chen