Colleges encourage students to get vaccinated

College News News University News

Image Description: an image of the Bridge of Sighs. 

Students at multiple colleges have received emails in the weeks leading up to Michaelmas term to encourage them to get their COVID-19 vaccination before returning to Oxford. The emails also inform students that the University is opening two walk-in vaccination centres to try and vaccinate as much of the student population as possible.

An email sent yesterday morning to students at Balliol “strongly encouraged” students to get vaccinated as soon as possible, and reminded them that you are not considered fully vaccinated until two weeks after your second vaccine. It reminded students of the University’s current Health Guidance, which includes getting vaccinated.

The email read:

“If you have not yet been fully vaccinated, the University and Balliol strongly encourage you to do so as soon as possible. This is to protect yourself and also those around, particularly the more vulnerable members of our community. We want everyone to get off to the best possible start this academic year and feel safe to access all the opportunities that Oxford has to offer. We urge you all to follow the University’s Health Guidance including getting vaccinated.”

Students were also informed that walk-in vaccination centres will be opened by the University in order to vaccinate more students before the beginning of term. A centre at the University Club on Mansfield Road will open on the 20th September, and another at Ewert House from the 27th September. Both centres are expected to run for approximately three weeks, and further information will be announced shortly.

Balliol was not the only college encouraging its students to get vaccinated. Jesus College reminded students that there is a vaccination clinic on the ground floor of the Oxford Brookes Abercrombie Building on its Headington campus, which offers limited walk-in appointments available for Oxford students and staff.

The University’s Health Guidance strongly encourages students to get vaccinated, and also to take other steps to limit the spread of COVID-19. Face masks are no longer mandatory, but will be encouraged in some areas and for in-person teaching of large groups of people.

The Health Guidance advises that students and staff should:

• Get vaccinated as soon as possible if you have not already done so
  • Wear face coverings where indicated (unless exempt)
  • Test regularly, and if you have symptoms
  • Stay at home if you are unwell
  • Wash your hands regularly with soap or sanitiser
  • Be considerate of other people’s space 

The Guidance also warns that although the impact of COVID-19 has been dramatically reduced by effective vaccines, cases should be expected within the Oxford community, and that the University is prepared to “respond to any public health changes caused by the virus if and when they are needed”.

Image Credit: Chen Chen