ad1

Málaga-style seafood egg fried rice recipe

Image description: a bowl of fried rice

I’ve always been a passionate cook, loving planning meals and serving them to friends and family. However, during my gap year I moved to Málaga in the south of Spain to work and found myself living alone for the first time. All of a sudden, cooking wasn’t just about delivering elaborate and mind-blowing dishes to my loved ones a couple of times a week, it had to be practical, fast, cheap, and of course delicious too! Luckily, there are few better places in the world than the south coast of Spain to deliver on all of those things!

Egg fried rice is one of those dishes that everyone loves, but to make it the main event of a meal I felt like I needed to add a different twist to elevate it beyond your bog-standard side in your local Chinese. In Spain, and Málaga in particular, I had the benefit of being able to choose seafood from one of the most spectacular markets around and get beautifully fresh produce at incredibly low prices. The great thing about this dish though is that it doesn’t need the best ingredients in the world – frozen bags of mixed seafood will do just fine.

Perhaps even better is the speed and flexibility of this recipe. It is so easy to put together and, in all honesty, anything you have lying around can go in and add an interesting twist (within reason!). My favourite additions (and what I’ve included here) are sugar snap peas and spring onions, but regular onion and any kind of standard stir-fry vegetable will work equally well. In barely ten minutes you can have a filling and nutritious dinner that will impress friends and power you through a tough student week.

Recipe

Total Time: Less than 10 minutes

Prep the rice in the morning or use leftovers to make this the ultimate quick dinner.

Ingredients

(Serves 2)

• 200g cooked rice (or more if you prefer)
  • 2 eggs (lightly-beaten)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 300g mixed seafood (pick up a mixed frozen bag from any supermarket for a super cheap and varied selection).
  • 2 tbsp teriyaki sauce
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 3 tbsp groundnut oil (any other oils will work)
  • 5 chopped spring onions
  • 100g sugar snap peas

Feel free to mix up any of these ingredients to ones that you prefer, just make sure that you keep the rough quantities and methods the same.

Method

1. Make sure your rice is cooked and seafood defrosted before getting started. (If not, either use a rice cooker or simply boil for 15 minutes.)
  2. Heat oil in a large pan over high heat and fry the mixed seafood for three minutes in total, adding the teriyaki and soy sauce as you go.
  3. Add the sugar snap peas and spring onions and fry for one minute.
  4. Add rice to the pan and mix ingredients, frying for two minutes.
  5. Move all the ingredients to one side of the pan and pour in beaten eggs, then stir to mix and scramble.
  6. Season with salt and ground pepper and serve with soy sauce.

Image credit: Annie Spratt via Unsplash