Malala Marries partner in small ceremony

Image Description: a photo of Malala on a dark background. 

Malala Yousafzi has married her partner Asser Malik in Birmingham.

Speaking on Twitter she said: 

Today marks a precious day in my life. Asser and I tied the knot to be partners for life. We celebrated a small nikkah ceremony at home in Birmingham with our families. Please send us your prayers. We are excited to walk together for the journey ahead.”

Her now husband, Asser Malik tweeted

“In Malala, I found the most supportive friend, a beautiful and kind partner — I’m so excited to spend the rest of our life together. Thank you all for the wishes on our Nikkah. In following our cricket team’s tradition, we had to do a victory cake cutting”

This is an exciting development for the recent PPE graduate and education activist, whose work has impacted millions across the globe. Her efforts to expand girls’ education have been influential and earned her a Nobel Peace Prize in 2014. She has authored several works since, including ‘I am Malala’, which has sold over 1.8 million copies since its release. 

Her husband, Asser Malik, is a cricketer and general manager of Pakistan Cricket Board’s High Performance centre. He graduated from Lahore University of Management Sciences in 2012 and is 31 years old. 

He has also been the subject of a lot of complimenting from people on Twitter with Louis Peitzman tweeting:

“Someone has to say it: Malala’s husband is a babe.”

Malala  has received a flurry of congratulations with her friend tweeting:

“Congratulations to my bestie @Malala on her nikkah. So happy to be a part of your special day.”

Justin Trudeau tweeted:

“Congratulations Malala and Asser! Sophie and I hope you enjoyed your special day – we’re wishing you a lifetime of happiness together”

Malala had previously stated her disillusionment with marriage in a British Vogue interview saying:

“I still don’t understand why people have to get married. If you want a person in your life, why do you have to sign marriage papers, why can’t it just be a partnership?”

However, her sentiments have clearly changed and she and her new husband seem to be very happy.

The Oxford Student would like to congratulate Malala on her recent nuptials, and hopes that she and her new husband enjoy a long and happy marriage. 

Image Credit: Southbank Centre London via Creative Commons