Law Soc Cancel Ball Due to ‘Logistical Issues’

Image Description: a group of people outside at a silent disco, with pink lighting. 

The Oxford Law Society cancelled their ball, which was to be held at the Natural History Museum last Sunday, owing to insurmountable ‘logistical issues’.

In an email sent to ticket holders on Saturday, the Society, which describes itself on its website as ‘one of the largest and most recognised at the University of Oxford’, said that all other avenues had been explored, and that there was no way that the ball could take place. They also apologised for the late notice of the cancellation.

The email read:

“you [sic] are receiving this email because you are scheduled to attend the Oxford Law Society Michaelmas Term 2021 Ball.”“Unfortunately, due to major unsurmountable [sic] logistical issues on the side of one of our vendors, the ball can no longer take place on Sunday (28.11.2021). We realize that this information is being conveyed to you on short notice and we would like to apologize for that.”“We can assure you that the Oxford Law Society has worked as hard as possible in exploring every avenue, and this is not a decision we have made lightly. You will receive information about possible rescheduling, possible refunds and other logistical matters in the coming days.”“Again, please accept our sincerest apologies for this inconvenience.”

Sources have told The Oxford Student that the ball was cancelled after a committee member ordering a new credit card for the Society put their primary address as a location in Prague, which is against bank security protocols about sending new cards overseas. This was not remedied in time for the Society to be able to pay for its venue hire. The Natural History Museum charges between £7,500-£24,000 for weekend hire of rooms, with an additional charge of up to £2,900 an hour for hours outside the usual opening times of the Museum.

The Society is rumoured to have lost a significant amount of money in vendor deposits.

One student who was planning to attend the ball told The Oxford Student: 

“I’m really disappointed. I was so excited to go to a ball at the Natural History Museum. It’s really bad organisation only to let us know the day before. I’d already spent money on my outfit.”

Tickets to the event cost £135, with the Society announcing in a Facebook post on the 7th November that 100 tickets would be released on a first come, first served basis to Law Society members. The post also noted that non-members would not be admitted to the event, and that ‘due to technical reasons’ the Society would not be able to offer refunds. In a further post on the 22nd November, the Society stated that those reselling tickets without ‘consulting the Executive Committee’ would mean that the new ticket holder would not be admitted onto transportation to the event, and no refund would be offered.

The Committee commented:

“The Society refuses to comment on the ongoing investigation into the matter of the Ball cancellation.”

This comes after the Cambridge Law Society has faced criticism on ‘CamFess’, the Cambridge equivalent of the popular student Facebook page ‘Oxfess’ over the quality of their ball last weekend. The Varsity newspaper reported that the ball, which had 1,000 attendees, was criticised for a silent disco that ended early, a ‘stampede’ to get on the coaches back to Cambridge, and having to wait an hour after the end of the event to get on a bus back. The event was also criticised for food wastage. However, the organisers told Varsity that they had had no official complaints, and thought that ‘everyone had a great night’.

Image Credit: Exit Festival on Creative Commons