Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe

Image description (from the left): Assortment of fruits, followed by ‘RECIPE OF THE WEEK’ written in block letters, and a bowl of vegan mushroom stroganoff.

Creamy, rich, and delicious, my much tested (a.k.a. making it once or twice) and healthier variation on the classic Russian dish will hopefully bring you warmth on these cold February evenings. Either that, or food poisoning, but whatever your outcome, just don’t shoot the messenger. I have included some potential subs and swaps you could use, as (student) kitchens are often chaotic; the worst thing is wanting to treat a recipe as an authentic text and discovering you don’t have any of the ingredients on hand. Furthermore, perhaps due to following my South Asian dad’s method of ‘stuff measurement, throw whatever you have in a pan’, it was painstaking to try pin down the amounts of certain ingredients used. However, I have been vigilant, and have provided my very approximate measures below.

Ingredients (1 serving)

• About 70-100g pasta – I like wholemeal fusilli or penne best
  • 100g mushrooms of any kind – Chestnut work quite nicely due to their nutty flavour
  • Half a large leek (could sub with onions and spinach, but I would recommend leeks as they are naturally quite sweet, and soak up the source really well)
  • 3-4 tablespoons of soya yoghurt, no added sugar (could sub with cream)
  • (For flavour, and if you have an excess of Zesty White, some white wine could also be added to the sauce)
  • 2 Teaspoons of nutritional yeast, plus a sprinkle for garnishing (you could use cheese instead here, but if you’re not a fan of vegan cheese, nutritional yeast is great for providing a cheesy flavour, whilst supplementing you with nutrients like Vitamin B12 and iron)
  • About 1 tablespoon of olive oil (if wanting to eat less oil, this can be slightly reduced and supplemented with some water. Additionally, for flavour it can be increased)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • A couple of pinches of paprika
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-1.5 teaspoons of miso (you could use mustard and/or a vegetable stock cube here, I just didn’t have any)
  • Generous sprinkle of herbs such as thyme

Cooking Instructions

1. Cook the pasta according to the packet (and your preferences – I love how the al dente texture contrasts with the thick creamy sauce and soft vegetables)
  2. Whilst the pasta is cooking, slice the mushrooms lengthways into moderately (but not too thin) pieces. Also cut the leek into circular pieces, and crush or slice the garlic
  3. Once the pasta is done, drain and set aside
  4. In a pan, fry the leeks until they start to soften, then add the mushrooms
  5. Add flavours! Stir in miso, salt, pepper, herbs, nutritional yeast, garlic, and paprika
  6. Leave to cook for around 10 minutes
  7. Add the soya yoghurt and pasta to the vegetables.
  8. Mix together and allow the sauce to warm for about 2-3 minutes
  9. Transfer to a bowl, and garnish with herbs, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast
  10. Enjoy! ☺

Image credits: Brooke Lark via Unsplash, and Hannah-Louise Siddiqui