This vegan twist on the classic Mexican taco is the perfect speedy yet nutritious recipe to brighten your week. The combination of crispy cauliflower, buttery avocado, kick of jalapeño and sriracha and a zing of lime makes for a delicious dish to enjoy solo or to share. If you can’t find red cabbage, some iceberg lettuce will also do the trick.
Prep time: 10-15 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Cost per serving: £2.40 (excluding oil, salt and pepper)
mini corn tortillas
½ tbsp sriracha
1 tsp maple syrup (or honey if vegetarian)
1 ½ tbsp plain flour
2 tsp cornflour
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
2 tbsp breadcrumbs (fresh or dried)
½ avocado, sliced
a handful of chopped red cabbage
salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 220℃.
- Chop the cauliflower into florets.
- Mix together the sriracha, maple syrup and 1 tbsp water and pour over the cauliflower florets and toss to coat. Season with the garlic granules, paprika and cumin, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, cornflour and 3 tbsp water together, adding more water if needed so that you have a pourable consistency. Pour this mixture over the cauliflower and toss to coat. Add the breadcrumbs and toss again.
- Add the coated cauliflower to a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the red cabbage and slice the avocado and jalapeños.
- Heat the mini tortillas for 30 seconds in the microwave.
- Assemble the tacos with the cauliflower, avocado, red cabbage and jalapeños and serve, finishing them with a squeeze of lime and extra drizzle of sriracha to taste.
Image Description: Roasted cauliflower
Image Credit: Gloria Cabada-Leman via Flickr.