Image Credit: Mike Mozart

Shake Shack chain to have new branch in Oxford

Contractors have revealed that the fast food chain Shake Shack will have a new restaurant opening on Cornmarket Street, most likely in early 2024. 

The restaurant’s central location is likely to make it particularly popular amongst students. It is hoped that the attraction will contribute to the liveliness of Cornmarket Street, where there are currently a number of empty lots.

The site will contain three floors, which previously belonged to the jewellery shop Pandora. An empty Burger King lot stands opposite, which closed down after it was given a one-star hygiene rating in January of this year.

With most of its UK-based restaurants in London, this will increase its total number of chains to 16. It will serve all of its classic menu items, as well as hand-spun shakes.

To commemorate its opening, the restaurant has commissioned a mural from the illustrator Ellie Fryer, which will take inspiration from the rich historical and literary heritage of Oxford. 

Shake Shack’s origins lie in the USA, where it began in the form of a hot dog cart in Madison Square, New York, founded by Danny Meyer. 

An American student studying at the University expressed she is “excited for this American delight to come to Oxford”. She highlighted the chain having “plenty of delicious options for those with dietary restrictions” and said it would “provide a much needed taste of home for American students”.

Image Credit: Mike Mozart via flickr