class act
Image Credit: Cameron Samuel Keys

OLC Co-Chair Elect resigns

One of the Oxford Labour Club (OLC) Co-Chair Elects, Chloe Pomfret, resigned earlier this week for unknown reasons, paving the way for a by-election for the role, The Oxford Student can reveal.

The Governing Documents of OLC are clear that if a Co-Chair resigns, the remaining Co-Chair can either call a by-election or leave the vacancy unfilled. However, if the remaining Co-Chair does not identify partly or wholly as a woman or transfeminine, then a by-election must be held.

OLC have not yet announced the resignation on their mailing list, and have currently given no indication of the timeline for a by-election to be held.

In a comment to The Oxford Student, OLC said “The Labour Club can confirm that Chloe has resigned as Co-Chair Elect.”

“If a Co-Chair has resigned, and the remaining Co-Chair does not identify partly or wholly as a woman or transfeminine, the constitution makes it clear that a by-election must be called to elect a Co-Chair that does identify as such.”

This is the second resignation of a senior OLC Committee member this year, after one of the Co-Chairs resigned in Hilary. The remaining Co-Chair chose not to fill the vacancy, meaning that OLC only had one Co-Chair for the remainder of the term. 

Chloe Pomfret declined to comment to The Oxford Student

Political turnover has not been restricted to OLC, after Caleb van Ryneveld was removed by a disciplinary committee from the OUCA presidency in Trinity 2023. Both he and Peter Walker later tried to claim the presidency.