Château Megyer Hárslevelű, Tokaji 2014 – Wine Review

When visiting the Turl Street branch of The Oxford Wine Company on behalf of The Oxford Student, I was asked whether I wanted to review a classic sweet or dry wine, or something a little weird and funky. Being in Oxford, a city with all the traditional wines there are to offer, I went for the weird and funky option. I was handed a bottle of Château Megyer Hárslevelű, Tokaji 2014, which certainly fits the bill in the most perfect ways imaginable.

Château Megyer is a winery in the Hungarian region of Tokaj best known for its sweet wines made from Hárslevelű grapes; however, this 2014 bottle differs from their usual, being a dry white wine. The bottle is also a little strange, as it has been aged since 2014, which is a significantly long time for white wine. The alcohol percentage sits at 12.5%, which is on the high side for white wine too.

At first glance, the wine is quite sheer, with a goldish hue, and is very light to swirl. At first smell, there are heavily pleasant tinges of apricot and peach, with very subtle earthy hints in the background.

A friend and I tried as best as we could to ‘professionally’ taste-test the wine after watching a couple of YouTube tutorial videos, and we were pleasantly surprised. We both aren’t avid wine drinkers and only really forced ourselves into liking the stuff after coming to Oxford, but this bottle may have shifted our opinions on the matter.

The texture is light and sheer, with a slight, but good, acidity level (the tingling feeling you get on your tongue). As said on the bottle, it is a dry wine, however it doesn’t feel like someone patted your tongue with a paper-towel, and it still has fruity hints of apricot and peach, as smelt before. Going down, it’s very light with a faint sensation of honey and warmth, the flavours blending well.

…this is a bottle to make the non-wine drinkers change their minds.

Taste testing this wine surprised both of us, as we, to put it bluntly, actually liked the drink! It’s very light and subtle, and combines fruity factors that we hadn’t really tasted in wine before. I might go as far as to say that this is a bottle to make the non-wine drinkers change their minds. We would recommend pairing this bottle with either chicken, fish, or spicy pasta, for an absolutely divine combination. Of course, it also stands just fine on its own…

With the original price for the bottle at £16, this is the perfect gift or occasion drink for the Oxford student, as it sits in the upper middle of the student price range. However, with The Oxford Wine Company’s 10% student discount on proof of a Bodleian card, it gets even more student-friendly! They also provide further discounts to societies, common rooms, and other events in need of a drinks supplier, and offer bespoke tastings too if you are looking to attend one in the near future. The Oxford Wine Company has several branches dotted around the city, with the central shops appearing on Little Clarendon Street and Turl Street, and one further out on Botley Road. The few times that I’ve been to the Turl Street outlet, I have had nothing but lovely experiences, with the staff always lending a knowledgeable hand when choosing the perfect wine.

I would heavily recommend this bottle to both the avid wine drinker, and also to the people who aren’t the biggest fans of wine, as this definitely changed our minds on the drink overall. However, if this particular bottle is not the one for you, The Oxford Wine Company is always able to help you find a wine that suits your personal taste and price range. I am glad to have visited the store and tried this bottle – perhaps the OxStu team shall be back for more wine reviews in the future…

Thank you to Remi Griffiths for being the friend in question, your input was unbelievably helpful! Thank you also to Nick Gorton from the Turl Street Oxford Wine Company shop for all of your help with choosing the right bottle of wine; I hope this review doesn’t make customers finish all the bottles!

Image credit: Johannah Mathew.

Image description: A bottle of Château Megyer Hárslevelű, Tokaji 2014 and a glass of wine sitting on a windowsill in front of a sunset.