Image credit: Public domain

Oxford American Society to be reconstituted

The Oxford American Society is set to be reconstituted after American members of the University met to redraft the society’s constitution.

The meeting took place on Friday 19 January at Jesus College. According to a press release from the society, the previous iteration of the American Society had gone dormant “slightly over a year” ago. The society was last active on social media in Michaelmas 2022, when it indefinitely postponed its Thanksgiving social.

The University is host to 1,900 students from the United States according to their own statistics, making the US the second most represented nationality at Oxford, after the United Kingdom. Because of this, the society recognises the “need for representation on a society level” that many American students feel and “aims to be a shared cultural space for these students”.

Oxford is an especially popular destination for exchange students, having partnerships with over 20 universities across the United States, and with many colleges having their own exchange programs with American universities. 

The society is currently in the process of officially being recognised by the Oxford SU, which involves the submission of a new constitution and an updated list of members. The members list is currently being collated via an online form, which can be accessed on the society’s new Instagram page: @oxfordamericansoc.

The society’s first social media post includes a series of images related to Anglo-American relations, including a conversation between Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Winston Churchill and a promotional image for the Major League Baseball London Series, accompanied by a caption calling students to sign up to the society.

The online form states that the society’s new constitution mostly follows the template provided by the SU. It is also noted that there will be three officer positions (President, Vice President and Secretary) which will be elected termly. Amanda Li is the current provisional Secretary, having set up the society’s Instagram account.

Events are already in the works for the society’s Hilary termcard, with a crew date with Welsh Society currently planned for Week 5. The online form additionally suggests that a Super Bowl party will be organised.

The society encourages “all Americans as well as friends of America who are at the university” to sign up as members.