Investigation into Danial Hussain concludes
Image Credit: Shaun Iwasawa

Addi Haran Diman elected as SU President

Addi Haran Diman has been elected as SU President for the 2024/2025 academic year.

Diman is a third year DPhil in Politics at Lincoln College. She ran a campaign on “a university that cares”. This included pledges to increase welfare funding, hold a reading week referendum, and “advocate for equality”.

Her campaign also highlighted her work as the President of OULGBTQ Society. Notably, she created a report as part of extensive policy discussions over LGBTQ+ issues at the university following the row over Kathleen Stock’s invitation to the Union last year. This included allowing students to declare their pronouns via the Student Self Service.

Diman received 717 first preference votes, with Shermar Pryce coming second in first preference votes with 630. In the final round of voting, Diman received 972 votes, versus Pryce’s 891.

Speaking to Cherwell before the election, Diman stated that she is “pretty much an outsider to [SU] babble”, but believes “that’s good because what’s really needed right now is someone who can shake up the system and is not part of the problem”.

Eleanor Miller was elected as VP Undergraduate Education and Access after running uncontested, while Lauren Schaefer was elected VP Postgraduate Education and Access with 1130 first preference votes.

Meanwhile VP Liberation and Equality went to Joel Aston with 1501 versus Adya Singh with 579 and VP Welfare went to Alfie Davis, who ran uncontested. Finally, VP Activities and Communities went to Alisa Brown, after she beat Luca Di Bona with 1524 to their 926.

All Souls had the highest turnout, with 6 out of 8 students voting. Corpus Christi came in second with 60.8% of 380 students voting. Overall, there was a 15% turnout with 4206, an increase of 15% on last year.

The campaign was marred by controversy after endorsements from Class Act for candidates running in the SU elections were invalidated after an investigation by the elections conduct team. 

This is a breaking news story – check back for further updates.