Image Credit: Cameron Samuel Keys

Balliol student arrested at Palestine protest

A Balliol student was arrested on Saturday on Cornmarket Street on suspicion of aggravated trespass.

A protest took place at the Barclays branch on Cornmarket Street on Saturday morning, in which a number of protestors entered Barclays. 

Thames Valley Police told The Oxford Student, “At around 11.30am on Saturday (10/2) Thames Valley Police were called to a protest in Barclays on Cornmarket Street.”

“Protestors had entered the bank and were asked by officers to leave. The protestors then made their way to Starbucks, again entering the premises.”

“A 19-year-old man from Oxford was arrested on suspicion of aggravated trespass and has been released on bail.”

The Oxford Student understands that the 19-year-old man was a student of Balliol College. Balliol College declined to comment on the incident. 

This follows a similar protest outside Barclays two weeks ago, in which a counter-protestor was arrested after an altercation with a demonstrator.

Protestors have targeted Barclays repeatedly both in Oxford and elsewhere, claiming that  “Barclays [has] long been an accessory to apartheid [and] ethnic cleansing”.

A number of different groups have staged protests in Oxford in relation to the conflict in Israel and Palestine in recent months.

Image Credit: Cameron Samuel Keys

Image Description: Balliol student getting arrested by police