Image Credit: Cancer Research UK

New £32m research facility to be built in Headington

The University of Oxford has announced it is expanding its research facilities with a new ‘state-of-the-art’ global health facility in Headington.

The project aims to merge the site’s Centre for Tropical Medicine and Global Health with parts of the Oxford Population Health building.

Built by Morgan Sindall Construction, the £32m Institute for Global Health facility at the Old Road Campus will accommodate 400 staff and 330 researchers. Morgan Sindall Construction previously constructed the university’s newest college, Reuben College.

A planning application for the project was initially submitted in 2021, and ultimately approved despite objections over insufficient pedestrian and cycle access to the site, an “unacceptable risk” for the neighbouring river banks, and concerns about car traffic and congestion in the area.

Associated Architects are designing the project to achieve Passivhaus standards, a leading international design standard, taking into account construction, insulation, ventilation and energy-efficiency standards.

James York, Area Director for Morgan Sindall Construction, said: “This state-of-the-art building will provide a modern, flexible space that will become a focal point for the University’s world-class medical research and it’s a privilege to play a role in its creation.”

“The project will be a labour of love and we can’t wait to deliver something that is truly remarkable, created by harnessing talents, skills, products and sustainable technologies and techniques to make it a Passivhaus building.”

“The innovative work that will be carried out in the building after it’s completed will play a key role in driving UK medical research forward too, so it will truly leave a lasting legacy.”

Image Credit: Cancer Research UK

Image Description: Oxford University Old Road Campus