Image Credit: Adrian Cassidy, the Story Museum

Prince Edward visits Oxford

Prince Edward, Duke of Edinburgh and youngest sibling of King Charles, visited Oxford on the 20th of February 2024. 

Prince Edward was set to visit The Old Fire Station and Damascus Rose Kitchen, a social enterprise comprising a theatre, gallery, Crisis centre, and Middle Eastern restaurant supporting refugee women; The Story Museum; and Flo’s The Place in the Park, a shared community space.

He arrived at the Story Museum on Pembroke street a little before 12pm. After being taken through the immersive exhibitions, he listened to traditional storytelling and met with the young 12-16 year-old story curators of the museum.  

Prince Edward then visited the Old Fire station on George Street, before going to Flo’s the Place in the Park in Cowley. The royal visit ended around 5.30pm.

Police was mobilised around Oxford to ensure Prince Edward’s security, including four officers on motorcycles. The Thames Valley Police commented to The Oxford Student that TVP “supported the visit of Prince Edward to Oxford this afternoon and it passed without incident.”

The Story Museum commented that they “were really proud to welcome His Royal Highness,” and that he “seemed to be highly engaged and excited by The Story Museum and he was lovely company.”

They added that “The Story Curators were […] really enjoyed showing their costumes” and that they “are already showing a sense of ownership within The Story Museum, and really feel part of the team, which is exactly what we’re aiming for.”

Image Credit: Andrea Cassidy, The Story Museum

Image Description: Prince Edward in the Story Museum