Image Credit: Ron Adams

£240m of repairs needed to fix “collapsing” Oxfordshire hospitals

NHS Digital figuresshow that £240m is needed to restore the hospitals of the Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust including the John Radcliffe in Headington and the Churchill Hospital in Oxford.

The John Radcliffe is the biggest hospital in Oxford and the most expensive to repair, with an estimated £148m required. It is also the main teaching hospital for both Oxford Brookes University and the University of Oxford and having opened in 1973 is the major trauma centre for the Thames Valley.

This latest figure of £240m covers required repairs from faulty gutters to electrical and structural issues and the work is already due to have been completed. The bill for repairs in England in the annual report on the condition of the health service last year was a record £11.6bn and NHS Providers have said that the rate at which the bill is rising is “alarming”.

The Oxford West and Abingdon MP Layla Moran has said in a press release that the state of disrepair is “completely unacceptable and utterly disgraceful”.

The hospitals in and around Oxford faced further disruption with the junior doctors on a five-day walk out across Oxfordshire which ended on Wednesday 28th February, involving members of the British Medical Association union (BMA) and the Hospital Consultant and Specialists Association union ending their strike on Thursday 29th February.

In 2023, 348 operations were cancelled by Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust with the NHS target of rebooking operations within 28 days of cancellation being missed in 12.1% of cases. The BMA have stated that the continued strikes and increased delays and cancellations across the country are a sign of the “creaking” NHS.

A Liberal Democrat analysis has revealed that across Oxfordshire, nearly 63,000 people were waiting more than four hours in A&E in 2023- 36,000 more people than in 2019. Moran argued that “A&E delays keep getting worse under this Conservative government as hospitals in our area are starved of the funding they need” with staff being “hung out to dry by this Government”.

Moran further criticised Rishi Sunak’s choice to cut funding for the NHS and said that patients should not have “to worry that they are being treated in a place that is collapsing around them”.

Image Credit: Ron Adams

Image Description: John Radcliffe Camera