Image Credit: Cameron Samuel Keys

SU taps Oxford Brookes Union CEO to lead 12-month transformation

Emilie Tapping, the former CEO at Oxford Brookes Union, will serve as Change Director as the Oxford University Students’ Union as it undergoes a transformation over the next 12 months. 

Tapping had previously worked in senior capacities with student unions across different universities. She was the CEO at Oxford Brookes Union. Before Brookes, she worked in the University of the Arts London SU and London School of Economics SU.

Professor Martin Williams, Oxford’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Education), Dr Jane Hoverd, Academic Registrar Dr Saira Shaikh, SU President Danial Hussain, Oluweseun Sowunmi, and External Trustees Ben Ward and Fay Shorter will serve on the Transformation Committee. 

The past year, the SU has been hit by numerous scandals, including President Danial Hussain’s porn scandal, the chair of Student Council resigning in protest because of what he called the SU’s “disregard for democratic principles” and the SU blocking a motion of no confidence in the SU President. 

In March, SU trustees announced that the situation was “unsustainable” and announced that they were implementing a “transformation plan” that would see “operations cut back to all but the most essential activities.”

The SU has since released updated information on their website about the Transformation plan.

The Freshers Fair will take place in 2024 and welfare products, at cost, will still be available to colleges. 

RepComs will be repurposed to support the student consultation around transformation. No further details have been released yet, and the SU will be in touch directly with JCR and MCR representatives. 

The SU will also hold an all-student meeting in place of Student Council in week 7 of TT24 to consult on the transformation plan and emerging proposals. 

The Oxford Student previously reported that the SU will scrap three Vice-President Sabbatical roles, half of the elected team. The SU has now stated that while the SU focuses on transformation and essential services, “it would not be fair to bring 6 sabbatical officers into an environment where they cannot be properly supported.”

Image Credit: Cameron Samuel Keys

Image Description: SU Building