oxford united championship promotion

Oxford United fans parade through Oxford to celebrate promotion to Championship

On Monday evening, thousands of Oxford United fans paraded through the city to celebrate the team’s emphatic promotion to the EFL Championship.

Oxford United won 2-0 against Bolton on Saturday at Wembley Stadium, after a 25-year absence from the Championship. More than 31,000 fans were there to support the team.

Around 6pm on Monday, fans gathered to greet an open-top bus carrying the Oxford United players and their support staff. 

The parade travelled from The Plain across Magdalen Bridge and along the High Street, ending at the Town Hall at 18:30. Supporters carried a sea of yellow flags, while many blew horns and some set off a couple of flares in celebration.

Attendees of the parade included the Lord Mayor of Oxford and the leader of Oxford City Council.

The parade ended with a civic reception at Oxford Town Hall for players and staff.

Councillor Susan Brown, leader of Oxford City Council, said: “We’re delighted to welcome Oxford United to the Town Hall to celebrate their promotion to the Championship. It’s been 25 years since they last played in the second tier and there have been some very dark days along the way, which makes the victory all the sweeter.”

Councillor Liz Leffman, Leader of Oxfordshire County Council, said: “The warmest congratulations from all at the county council to Oxford United on their play-off victory and promotion to the Championship. 

“It has been a long journey for the club since the days of non-league football. It’s wonderful to see the U’s back to this elevated level of English football and it was great to see the joy of the fans.”

Oxford City Council also flew the Oxford United flag over the 1930s extension to the Town Hall to mark the club’s promotion.

Image Credit: Ananya Navale

Image Description: Oxford United parade on open-top bus