Sasquatch sunset

Sasquatch Sunset: a confusing comedy

‘Beginning in the misty forests of North America, a family of Sasquatches – possibly the last of their enigmatic kind – will embark on an absurdist, epic, hilarious, and ultimately poignant journey. Over the course of a year these shaggy and noble giants fight for survival as they find themselves on a collision course with the ever-changing world around them.’

Have you ever wondered what would happen when you put Jesse Eisenberg and Riley Keough into sasquatch suits and had them grunt for 89 minutes? No? Well… look no further. Written by David Zellner and directed by himself and Nathan Zellner, Sasquatch Sunset follows four sasquatches living in the woodlands, slowly encountering new human life, which begins to take over their natural habitat and leads to further destruction of their species.

Although I do realise that Sasquatch Sunset may have been attempting to shed light on deforestation, alienation, and the loss of habitat, I am still (even about a week after) left bewildered, and frankly shocked as to what I just watched. Throughout the 89 minutes, the audience witnesses an uncomfortable sasquatch sex scene, a drunk sasquatch, a high sasquatch, a sasquatch attempting to ‘pleasure himself’ through a plank of wood, a sasquatch giving birth, a sasquatch lactating, a sasquatch sniff her genitals, multiple sasquatches violently defecating a road and/or a campsite, the insides of a sasquatch being eaten by a wild cat, a sasquatch being sunk and drowned by a cutdown tree, and a wild cat eating a sasquatch’s placenta. And I think, at least most of these, were supposed to be funny.

Reading Letterbox reviews, one user states that this was the most amount of people they’d ever witnessed leaving a movie theatre before the end credits and I sort of understand why.

Although cinematographically Sasquatch Sunset is stunning, being shot as if it were a nature documentary, with beautiful sequences of landscapes, sunrises, and wild animals, Sasquatch Sunset is definitely not for the faint hearted and definitely will only appeal to set group of people. However, that set group of people seem to be younger than the age-rating of this film should be.

Nevertheless, (spoilers ahead) the ending was amusing, with two sasquatches appearing in front of a human sasquatch hideout giftshop, next to a giant woodcarving of a sasquatch, which they attempt to scare through chants and taunting. This begs the question – were we, the audience, watching them through the hideout spot all along? Although it was pretty hard to wholly sympathise with the cryptids, towards the end of the film, you do begin to understand and pity Keough’s character, especially through the hell she had experienced throughout the film, which was pretty impressive considering these characters do not have any dialogue.

Although Sasquatch Sunset was not necessarily for me, this is definitely a strange little film for people with a confusing sense of comedy or for someone who would either like to be shocked or mind-boggled by a new, bizarre type of film.

What the Sasquatch Sunset trailer here. Sasquatch Sunset premiers at the Sundance Film Festival on 8th June and will appear in UK cinemas from 14th June.

Picture credit: Icon Film Distribution.