Food
Credit:Tara Narayan

Elliot’s Recipe Corner

Though the term is already more than halfway through, the recent advent of the sun makes it feel as though spring has only just begun. We find ourselves walking around the city, sunbathing in the gardens, loath to cloister ourselves indoors. The theme of the past two weeks has been of garden parties, picnics, and late walks in the evening sun. It is imperative to take every opportunity before exams to wander outside and soak up the glorious weather.

Picnic weather might call for an easy baked Camembert, if you are so lucky to have an oven: you might top it with caramelised onions and put it in the oven at 150 degrees for fifteen minutes before wrapping it up to take to the park. It’s simple enough to pair with crackers, strawberries, pickles, or whatever else may catch your fancy. And watch out for the discounts at Tesco, even though they’ve unfortunately moved their cheese aisle in this past week.

Platters are the choice for my sunny Trinity so far, and they luckily do not necessarily involve an awful lot of heavy cooking. One can choose to make things as elaborate or simple as they like, but a few suggestions to elevate the Trinity picnic, if that tickles your fancy:

Caramelise pecans and almonds to add to a cheese board.

Check cheese shops for discounts- you can often find fresh goat’s cheese or a lovely slice of Brie for better prices than the supermarket. 

Make good use of the Wednesday farmers market, especially for fresh produce.

A light salad, easy to pack and share on a lawn:

• 1 pack rocket
  • Juice of ½ lemon
  • Olive oil
  • Crushed pistachios
  • Sliced strawberries
  • Grated parmesan
  • Pecans, caramelised

Combine olive oil, lemon juice, pistachios, salt, and pepper for a quick dressing. Toss with rocket to and top with strawberries, pecans, and parmesan. Enjoy in the sun.