Trinity College appoints Sir Robert Chote as next President

Sir Robert Chote has been appointed as Trinity College’s next President. He will succeed the incumbent, Dame Hilary Boulding, on 1 September 2025.

Chote, an economist and journalist, chaired the Office for Budget Responsibility between 2010 and 2020 and currently chairs the UK Statistics Authority and the Northern Ireland Fiscal Council.

Prior to this, he worked as the Economics Editor for the Financial Times, Director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, and an adviser to the senior management of the International Monetary Fund. He was knighted in the 2021 New Year Honours for services to fiscal policy and the economy.

Chote said of his appointment: “I am delighted and honoured to be joining Trinity as its 29th President. I share the College’s commitment to being forward-thinking and encouraging its community to use its talents to make a positive contribution to the world.

“I look forward enormously to working with Fellows, staff, students and alumni to ensure that we continue to thrive and develop as a centre of academic excellence, a supportive, vibrant and inclusive community, and a valued contributor to public life.”

Professor Stephen Fisher, Vice President of Trinity College, said: “We are thrilled Sir Robert has agreed to serve as Trinity’s next President. He has an extraordinary record of achievement in various roles in public life drawing on the fruits of academic research.

“From economics journalism at the FT, through leading both the Institute for Fiscal Studies and the Office for Budget Responsibility, to chairing the UK Statistics Authority, Sir Robert has sought to work in and with organisations that are values-led and seek to serve the public good.”

Dame Hilary Boulding, who has served as Trinity’s President since August 2017, said: “It has been the most extraordinary privilege to serve as Trinity’s President. I’m delighted to add my warm welcome to Sir Robert as the College’s next President.

“He joins a distinctive and stimulating community that combines a keen sense of its academic purpose with its desire to make a lasting and beneficial contribution to society. I wish Sir Robert success and personal fulfilment in equal measure as he leads the College through the next chapter of its development.”

The college expressed its thanks to Boulding for her leadership in a statement, highlighting her service to Trinity during the “challenge of the Covid pandemic” and the significant advancements the college has made during her tenure, notably the development of its estates.

The Levine Building, which provides a mix of accommodation, teaching and learning spaces, and community areas, was opened by King Charles III in 2022 when he was the Prince of Wales.

Boulding will complete her term of office in August 2025. Chote will be installed as the 29th President of Trinity College at the beginning of the 2025-26 academic year.

Image description: Trinity College, Oxford

Image credit: pam fray via a Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license