Film 3 sentences and a rating star
Credit: Amelia Woon

Three sentences and a rating – we’re almost there

And just like that, it’s the end of the year! I’m a little bit back on the copious media consumption, however this column will be a mix of all the prominent media I’ve consumed in the past four weeks, considering I chickened out last edition (thanks again to my friends, sister, and boyfriend for contributing). Hope you have all been enjoying the random patches of sun and not stressing too much over finals or prelims. Thanks for joining me this term, it’s been super fun to write down the chaos in my brain, but let’s get straight into giving three sentences and a rating out of five to all the media I’ve consumed in the past two… no four, weeks!

The Promised Land (Film, 2023)

Check out my full review here. If you love a historical drama about a man who’s not that nice, this’ll be perfect for you. Incredibly beautiful cinematography, just couldn’t get behind Captain Ludvig Kahlen as a person, and I know he was a real guy too. Two and a half stars.

Challengers (Film, 2024)

I really, really wanted to like this one. I did love how insufferable the trio were, and some (some) of the shots. But what do you mean you’re going to advertise this as a proper love triangle and then Art and Patrick only kiss once?! Three stars.

Boyhood (Film, 2014)

You can tell Richard Linklater wrote and directed this one, and I mean that with love. It’s insane that they shot this over twelve years, but the narrative flows so well, you barely notice it. Although this film is a total feat of cinema, the plot was a little cliché and didn’t really discuss anything groundbreaking (I know that’s sort of the point, but it just didn’t completely wow me). Three and a half stars.

The Worst Person in the World (Film, 2021)

So unbelievably real, it was kind of uncomfortable to watch at times, not because it was cinematically painful, more because I hated what I saw in Julie in myself. Like Boyhood, it also didn’t completely wow me, but it was a good indie film watch. I don’t know if I want to give Julie a hug or scream at her. Three and a half stars.

But I’m a Cheerleader (Film, 1999)

Talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, etc, etc. Finally got around to this gem of queer cinema, and genuinely think it’s kind of genius, I mean, RuPaul as an ex-gay conversion therapy coach, and Julie Delpy as a lipstick lesbian. Yes, it’s a little stereotypical, but it’s also so heartwarming, hilarious, tackles an awful subject in a weirdly watchable way, and the set and costume design are so incredibly fun to look at. Four stars.

Takin’ Over the Asylum (TV show, 1994)

For those that know, you know exactly why I decided to watch this. For those who don’t: young David Tennant. But genuinely, this was a pretty decent representation of mental health for the early 90s, each character was treated with respect and understanding, especially by the other characters in the ward, I would actually recommend this one. Three and a half stars.

Perfect Blue (Film, 1997)

Finally watched this at the cinema, and genuinely, what did I just watch? It was genius, but I have so many questions and video essays to watch! I would absolutely recommend this one, but there are a lot of incredibly hard scenes to watch, so I would double check the trigger warnings before if you need to. Four and a half stars.

To Pimp a Butterfly – Kendrick Lamar (Album, 2015)

Even though I’m a Music student, I barely ever sit down with a full album anymore. Not to be a music nerd, but since I can remember, this album has been up there as one of my favourites of all time. It’s genuinely so good, I’m not even going to explain it, just listen to it, the music speaks for itself. Five stars.