Join The Oxford Student for Michaelmas 2019

The Oxford Student is now looking forward to assembling another great team of editors, writers, photographers, cartoonists, illustrators and filmmakers for Michaelmas Term!

As the largest student publication in Oxford, our print edition reaches thousands of readers every week and achieves over 75,000 online hits per month. Just this term we’ve had stories featured in national newspapers, including The Times and The Daily Telegraph.

Working for The Oxford Student is a fantastic way to gain editorial experience, and even work with national newspapers, but it’s not just a job for those of you interested in journalism. The experience you gain on the editorial team will develop your sales, marketing, legal, editing and team skills, which are highly transferable to any job. The Oxford Student is also held in very high esteem with graduate recruiters, and our editorial staff are regularly invited to exclusive graduate recruitment events.

On top of all that, the atmosphere in the OxStu office is friendly and collaborative. No experience is required to join the team, and it’s a great place to meet like-minded people.

Want to join the fun and see your work go out to thousands of Oxford readers? Apply below!

We are currently hiring editorial staff, photographers, illustrators, broadcasters and cartoonists. Positions are held for one term, at the end of which candidates will need to re-apply either for their role or another. If you are unsuccessful in attaining the position they apply for, you will be able to discuss alternative options with the current editors that can suit you.

Available Positions

Deputy Editor

Responsibilities:

• Supervise section editors in laying their sections and training InDesign
  • Determine page design
  • Upload articles to social media, in tandem with the Online Editor
  • Finalise articles for publication

Approx. time commitment: High

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Maria and Grace, at [email protected] with a 600-word cover letter including relevant experience (if any) and specific ideas for the role. Please also indicate if there are any other roles you would be interested in.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

Creative Director

Responsibilities:

• Determine page design
  • Manage the Artistic Team
  • Finalise design of the Culture Section for print

Approx. time commitment: High

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Grace and Maria, at [email protected] with a 600-word cover letter including relevant experience (if any) and specific ideas for the role. Please also indicate if there are any other roles you would be interested in.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

News Editor 

Responsibilities:

• Commission and manage content for the section
  • Seek out breaking news and uncover stories in Oxford
  • Manage the News Reporting team and edit their work
  • Ensure all news is covered and publicised online
  • Broadcast events using film and editing equipment

Approx. time commitment: Medium

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Maria and Grace, at [email protected] with a cover letter of up to 400 words including relevant experience (if any). If you have written any kind of article in the past, please also submit a copy (however writing experience is not a requirement!). Please also indicate if there are any other roles you would be interested in.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

News Reporter

Responsibilities

• Gather stories and submit them to the News Team
  • Be available to cover events and breaking stories around Oxford
  • We will provide you with training and active support
  • This is the ideal position if you are interested in dipping your toes into student news reporting
  • Option to become a political correspondent

Approx. time commitment: Low

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Maria and Grace, at [email protected] with a cover letter of up to 300 words including relevant experience (if any). If you have written any kind of article in the past, please also submit a copy (however writing experience is not a requirement!). Please also indicate if there are any other roles you would be interested in.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

Investigations Editor 

Responsibilities:

• Commit to investigating a particular element of Oxford life, collaborating with the Editors and News Team
  • Interview people, create and present surveys, issue requests for information – create a full investigation
  • Write and lay the final product
  • Organise investigations during the summer vacation

Approx. time commitment: Medium

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Maria and Grace, at [email protected] with a cover letter of up to 400 words including relevant experience (if any). If you have written any kind of article in the past, please also submit a copy (however writing experience is not a requirement!). Please also indicate if there are any other roles you would be interested in.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

Section Editor (Comment, Profile, Music, Screen & Stage, Art and Literature, Features, Sport, Pink, Science & Tech, Food and Drink, Puzzle)

Responsibilities:

• Lay your section (using InDesign software to input content)
  • Commission and manage content for section, full editorial control over content direction
  • Manage creative direction of the section in terms of design and regular features
  • Write for your section regularly
  • Our writers and editors are often offered complimentary tickets to plays, exhibition previews, gigs/concerts, restaurants and other media events.

Sections available:

• Comment – write and edit opinion pieces on student issues and current affairs. These are among our most read pieces.
  • Sport – write comment pieces and report on university and college sport. Cover iconic events including the boat race, varsity, cuppers, and torpids.
  • Profile – interview interesting and famous individuals involved in student and public life. In the past our Profile teams have interviewed politicians including Nick Clegg, journalists including Peter Hitchens, and Nobel Peace Prize winners, to name a few!
  • Music – review gigs and concerts and interview acts and bands around Oxford. You now have a legitimate reason for going out!
  • Screen and Stage – write about the latest, film, TV and drama. We regularly receive free theatre tickets in exchange for reviews.
  • Arts – write about museums, exhibitions and literature. We regularly receive free preview tickets for exhibitions.
  • Features – a space for articles and longer reads about various aspects of the student experience. This is a broad section which includes an exciting variety of articles, including travel, lifestyle, opinion pieces, interviews, and thoughtful long-reads. The broadness and vivacity of this section is what makes it so enjoyable to edit, and many Features articles are among our most read pieces.
  • Pink – write about issues affecting the LGBTQI+ community.
  • Science and Tech – a place for news and comment pieces about the latest scientific issues and research in Oxford and beyond.
  • Food and Drink – review all the culinary experiences Oxford has to offer. Occasional free food. The perfect excuse to eat!
  • Puzzle – create our crosswords, quizzes and other puzzles each week.

Approx. time commitment: Medium

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Maria and Grace, at [email protected] with a cover letter of up to 400 words including relevant experience (if any) and any ideas you have for the role. Please put the position you are applying for as the subject of your email. If you have written any kind of article in the past, please also submit a copy (however writing experience is not a requirement!). Please also indicate if there are any other roles you would be interested in.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

Deputy Section Editor  (Comment, Profile, Music, Screen & Stage, Art and Literature, Features, Sport, Pink, Science & Tech, Food & Drink)

Responsibilities:

• Write and source regular content for section
  • Fill in for Section Editors in their absence
  • Have an important role in the creative direction of the section

Approx. time commitment: Low

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Grace and Maria, at [email protected] with a 300-word cover letter including relevant experience (if any) and any ideas you have for the role. Please put the position you are applying for as the subject of your email. If you have written any kind of article in the past, please also submit a copy (however writing experience is not a requirement!). Please also indicate if there are any other positions you may be interested in.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

Broadcast Editor

Responsibilities:

• Create video and audio content for the paper
  • Manage broadcasting contributions from section teams and make sure they are reaching targets

Approx. time commitment: Medium

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Maria and Grace, editor@oxfordstudent.com with a 500-word cover letter including relevant experience (if any) and specific ideas for the role.

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

Photographers

We use hundreds of original photos over a single term, including news reports, fashion shoots and commissions by culture sections, so if you have photography experience and are interested in expanding your portfolio, apply now! Due to funding restrictions, you will be required to provide your own equipment.

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Grace and Maria, at [email protected] with a few samples, and details of any equipment (if you have any).

Deadline: ongoing – we accept new applications for photographer at any time!

Illustrators and Cartoonists:

We’re constantly on the lookout for people with artistic flair and a wry sense of humour to provide satirical and political cartoons for our publication.

How to apply: email the Editors-in-Chief, Grace and Maria, at [email protected] with a few samples and any ideas for running features

Deadline: 23:59, Wednesday 12th June.

Write for us!

We encourage you to apply for one of the editorial positions above, even if you have no past experience. However, if you would like to contribute articles but don’t think you can commit to an editorial role, then feel free submit to us any time! You can conduct interviews and write on topics of your choice – or meet commissions from our section editors. If you’d like to contribute on a regular basis, as a regular reviewer or columnist for one of the sections, please pitch or outline an article series you would like to write. Writing for us on a casual basis is a great way to increase (or begin) your portfolio of published articles. Make sure to check out our contributors groups too, which can be found on our Facebook page, and sign-up to our content call emails. (Please note that this is not a formal position and no application is required.)

Fill in this form on our website or email us at [email protected] and we can help get you set up!

Good luck, and thanks for your interest. We look forward to hearing from you!

Maria Kostylew and Grace Davis, The Oxford Student